IMDM – ISCOVE’S MODIFIED DULBECCO’S MEDIUM
In 1976, Guilbert and Iscove demonstrated that precursor cells of erythrocytes and macrophages could be cultured in a reduced-serum medium supplemented with albumin, transferrin, lecithin, and selenium.
Iscove’s Medium is a variation of Dulbecco’s Modified Eagle’s Medium (DMEM) containing:
- Selenium, additional amino acids and vitamins
- Sodium pyruvate
- HEPES buffer
- Potassium nitrate instead of ferric nitrate.
Further studies demonstrated that Iscove’s Medium would support:
- Murine B lymphocytes
- Hematopoietic tissue from bone marrow
- B cells stimulated with lipopolysaccharide
- T lymphocytes
- a variety of hybrid cells.